Thursday, September 8, 2011

Five Days, Ten New Shows -- 2 Broke Girls

EDITOR'S NOTE -- I sincerely apologize for not putting up the first impression entry on ABC's Once Upon a Time as scheduled. I had a more busy day yesterday than usual, and I will be frank and admit that the surprisingly short trailers for ABC's show back in May didn't help matter much, either. Another time, I may cover that show, hopefully some time this week to keep the title of this whole week truthful. Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

-----

2 BROKE GIRLS

Photobucket

When and Where:
CBS; Mondays 8:30/7:30c; Debuts Sep. 19 (Special time--9:30/8:30c)

Who:
Created by Michael Patrick King (Sex and the City) and commedienne Whitney Cummings; Stars Kat Dennings (Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist)

What:
Two waitresses, one a pauper of a city girl and the other a rich girl run afoul of the law, find themselves in the compromising situation of working with each other. They work together in the hopes of improving their respective lives.

Why:
Amongst TV critics such as Entertainment Weekly's Ken Tucker, this is one of the fall's most anticipated new comedies. As far as I'm concerned though, its not that great.

Don't get me wrong, the trailer is pretty funny. But it just seems a little too broad in humor approach and direction. If anything, I can honestly say that 2 Broke Girls fits in well with CBS' style of sitcom, the same network that tried the single-camera comedy on occassion, but didn't make it last. (The shows in question were called Welcome to the Captain and Worst Week, the latter getting better reception.)

Still, I think I may regret writing it off completely, so I won't. The same could be said of trying to compare it to shorter-lived comedies I've really enjoyed like last season's Better With You, I'm With Her which ran when I was in high school, or CBS' own The Class back in 2006. If you don't think too hard about it, the trailer itself is pretty funny. Further, there seems to be a real sense of chemistry between the two leads. On top of that, there are genuinely funny moments in that trailer below, particularly the fierce and well-deserved comeback to the finger-snapping jerk that it opens with.

One of those leads Kat Dennings, has a single distinction in common with Ellen Page, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Portia Doubleday, Alia Shawkat and Mae Whitman. All of them have held the same dominant level of chemistry as the female half of a couple. (Although I have yet to watch Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist in it's entirety.) Unsurprisingly, she comes off as strong here, dealing with a different kind of other half.

And I earlier talked about Whitney Cummings, the newfound NBC leading lady who also shares the credit of concieving this show. That certainly comes in handy, given that the jokes on her own show come off as honestly and truly clunky and obvious. Worse yet, Whitney appears to be all other the place, and comes off as trite and tired. In the other hand, there's a much better sense of humor emanating from Cummings as a stand-up comic on this show. (Although I really haven't seen her stand-up, so I cannot judge directly.) It's truly ironic when she's funnier on the sitcom where she's behind the scenes than on her own starring vehicle.

2 Broke Girls doesn't look stupendous, but I can honestly say that I have faith in it, especially as a chaser to How I Met Your Mother. (Compare with Whitney following the revamped Office, and the potential for a double-shot of awkward.) If anything, it will hopefully prove to be a good time.

Lynx:
Official CBS Page
Facebook Page

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment